I often get requests for romance recommendations, so I thought the Friday before a holiday weekend would be a good time to list some of my favorite romance authors.
In no particular order:
- Joanna Bourne: French Revolution and Napoleonic Era tales of espionage featuring some of the most badass heroines you’re ever going to read, and all with an achingly eloquent voice
- Meredith Duran: has branched out from Victorian-era stories into the early 18th century and an upcoming Regency novel; again the voice and depth of characterization always leave me consumed with envy
- Julie Anne Long: Regency-era romance that’s beautifully and intelligently written; an auto-buy
- Tessa Dare: witty Regency romance that doesn’t sacrifice humor for depth, and also wonderfully written
- Shana Abé: historical paranormal and Medieval romance that’s lush and poetic
- Courtney Milan: mid-19th century romance that doesn’t shy away from complex characterizations or social issues
- Judith Ivory/Judy Cuevas: it’s been a long while since she’s published a new book, but her historical romances were revelatory to me; until I’d read Ivory, I had no idea that romance could be intellectual, ambiguous, profound and beautiful; you’ll have to track her backlist down, especially the books written as Judy Cuevas
- Carrie Lofty: historical romance (and also erotic romance written with Lorelie Brown under the name Katie Porter) that also isn’t afraid of complex characterization and knows its way around eloquent language
- Victoria Dahl: contemporary and historical romance that feature sexually empowered heroines (who occasionally exclaim, “Balls!”)
- Sherry Thomas: Late Victorian romance that sensitively explores second chances, misunderstandings, and the difficult work of making a relationship function
Also, if you’re on the lookout for erotic romance, I strongly recommend:
- Eden Bradley/Eve Berlin: BDSM and other erotic elements, both paranormal and not paranormal
- Lauren Dane: Sci-fi and contemporary erotic romance
- Vivian Arend: Shapeshifters and non-paranormal erotic
- Megan Hart: gritty, heart-rending contemporary erotic romance
- Emma Holly: the queen of erotic romance, IMO
- Rebekah Weatherspoon: paranormal, multicultural lesbian erotic romance
Now I realize I’ve named just a few authors, and if I didn’t mention you, please don’t take offense! I have a lot of authors on my keeper shelves, but these are among my very favorites.
Leave a comment with your recommended authors, and you could win an autographed copy of WARRIOR! I’ll pick a winner by Wednesday, October 10.